Wednesday 26 November 2008

On Wednesday, 19th November, I took Big Joe Louis to Mike Russell's Mouse In The House studio for a photo session, then back to Blues In Britain for the interview. Joe has had an interesting life and lots to say. It should make a good article.
Then we went on to the 100 Club to see Charlie Musselwhite and Dave Peabody. It was a well attended evening. Peter Golding introduced me to Chris Jagger, whom I had not met before; Chris's band is called Atcha! Dave and Charlie each did a set and then they did a third set together. Dave wondered if I was reviewing it but one of our reviewers has turned in a piece before I could get down to it.
Thursday: Mike Russell sent me a link to some of the photos he had taken of Joe. They were excellent but I asked for something looking straight to camera for the front cover. Mike emailed over some more and we settled on the ones I would use.
Friday, 21st November: I went to Brooks Blues Bar, at The Telegraph on Putney Heath, to see Paul Oscher. He sings, plays harmonica, guitar and piano, and tells witty stories. His performance was outstanding. I really like his voice. I will be reviewing the gig for the Blues In Britain. Unusually, all the tables had been taken out of the upstairs room to accommodate the larger than usual audience. I was surrounded by harmonica players, including Lawrie Garman (ex-Yardbirds), Pete G (of the Magnitones) and Peter Golding. I also spotted Colin Wills the promoter of the Banbury Blues Festival. Dave Peabody, who had just finished the tour with Charlie Musselwhite, was taking photos. Dave will be playing at Brooks with harmonica player Brendan Power on Friday 28th November.
Sadly, I didn't get to see Son Maxwell, at The Tabard in Chiswick, on Sunday. The weather was foul and I couldn't persuade anyone else to go.
Monday 24th: Chicago Red rang to say that he did not have time to come for lunch and had gone straight to Westcliff-on-Sea. He told me that he had met a man who had taken him, by car, to Tipperaray, why, he did not say. I hope to catch him before his tour end.
Guitarist, singer and songwriter Guy Tortora called to pick my brains; sadly my brains were of no use. We discussed the session he had done for the Paul Jones show two weeks ago; it was very good. He said that Paul Jones has recruited his band to do a charity event at Cranleigh Arts Centre on 22nd & 23rd December. This is billed as Paul Jones & Friends but Guy says he doesn't know who else is on the bill. Paul Jones has some prestigious friends. I notice that the Monday night is sold out.
On Monday evening, Dave 'Munch' Moore came into Blues In Britain to help master the next Blues In Britain CD. The tracks for this one have been selected by Mike Hellier of Movin' Music from the works of the artists the agency represents. We hope to have the CD finished to send out with the January issue, but it is possible we won't be able to do that in time.
Tuesday 25th: I had a call from a subscriber, Chris, who had read the news item in the magazine about the price rise starting in January. We had said that anyone wishing to extend their subscription could do so at the old rate up to 20th December. He is going to do that.
Wednesday 26th: Work continues on the January issue of Blues In Britain. Several reviews and photographs came in by email plus an article about the Bronte Blues Club for our Blues Venues series.  Magazine Printing Company, which does the printing and mailing to our subscribers, dropped off the remaining copies of issue 84. 
Dave returned with the master. I will have to do the artwork now. 
When Dave had gone, I took the shop copies up to Parcelforce. I find it more reliable to go there myself than to rely on their driver to pick them up; sometime I get forgotten. I also send voucher copies to Don Cleary who sells our advertising space. This evening, I had a call from Byron Banks, another harmonica player. It seems to be my week for harmonica players.

No comments: